Monday, September 23, 2013

Guest Post: Some Experiences From the Front Line of Battle

by Glenda Denicolo, Ammerman Campus Coordinator, New Member Mentoring Program
 
Editor’s Note:  SKG here! Lest you become weary of hearing from me (and enduring my flagrant abuse of parentheticals and exclamation points), I thought that occasionally I’d mix things up on the blog by bringing new voices to you. I’m especially pleased to announce that our first guest post comes from the Ammerman Campus’ New Member Program Coordinator Glenda Denicolo, who makes me exceedingly jealous by being one of those people who can master the languages of math and science while also excelling at the written word. Enjoy!
 
I was asked to write something about my experiences in the college, and most recently what is on my mind is the “art” of professor-student interaction in class. By no means I intend to tell you what to do in class – we all have our very valuable academic freedom. I just want to share what has worked for me.
Caumsett Hall, Grant Campus
I love stories of war and strategy, so I have this irresistible impulse to use them for comparison. The classroom is not supposed to be an inhospitable place like a battlefield, even though I bet, at some point during the semester, all of us will eventually detect an atmosphere of mutiny in class (for example, after a test). This is first and foremost the battle against lack of sense of responsibility, and ignorance of the rules. These are some of the “strategies” that have helped me ease the tensions in class, and move through the semester much more smoothly and enjoyably with my students.
The most efficient strategy I have adopted soon after I started teaching at SCCC was to write a well tied down course outline. I have improved it over the years, worked on constraining several loopholes students were still able to find, included a disclaimer that contains a pep talk about taking responsibility for their results and grades. Nowadays I even ask my students to sign a slip at the end of the outline attesting they are aware and understand all the information contained in that document. Our department chair says I have a lawyer-proof outline, which I find pretty funny. These well-established “rules of the game”, or “our contract” (!), as sometimes I explicitly refer to it in class, have straightened up the students’ expectations about my class, and calmed down the nerves in general. Of course little reminders need to be administered during the semester, and at strategic moments as well. It works for me.
A website for the class has also proven to be a very important and rather strategic tool. It may be in D2L, or hosted at a college server: I use both. I post a list of relevant books available at the library on reserve; the schedule for our student Help Center; my schedule; link to the Physics Club website; links to other websites pertinent to the class. The grades are posted in D2L, avoiding FERPA issues (otherwise we basically we cannot communicate grades/performance unless face-to-face with students). This tool has been important for my classes. It places the charge on the students again: they are responsible for keeping track of their own progress at all times during the semester.
The next best strategy, I would say, are weekly assignments, which are to be collected and graded. The more feedback a student gets, the better his/her performance. Also, students will have fewer complaints because practice will really help them understand what you want. I am very aware that it can be a lot of material to grade every weekend. I have been using online homework assignments lately, for certain classes. My homework assignments are all about solving problems, so sometimes I roll a die in class, in front of the students, and select only one question to carefully examine and grade, while I make sure students receive the answers and solutions to all other remaining questions as well (this is mostly done in higher level courses, not entry-level classes). There is no easy way out with laboratory reports though; I must read everything.
I was writing this on the weekend of my birthday, which I celebrated with a Sunday brunch. We do not consider ourselves brunch aficionados (ha!), but my husband suggested –as this blog can contain all sorts of information (like the edition of the Underground) to help you adjust to SCCC and surroundings, that I post a list of our top brunch places so far. Hey, a battle soldier needs to rest too! Here is the short list:
  • Mirabelle Tavern, Stony Brook
  • Danfords Hotel, Port Jefferson
  • Lombardi’s on the Sound, Port Jefferson
  • Windows on the Lake, Lake Ronkonkoma
  • Cooperage Inn, Baiting Hollow (for this and the next: thank you, Chris Scott!)
  • The Milleridge, Hicksville

No comments:

Post a Comment